Make sure you use 100% buckwheat soba noodles for this recipe, you’ll be able to buy these from your local health food store. A lot of soba noodles will use wheat flour and a small amount of buckwheat flour. The 100% buckwheat soba noodles will be gluten free and have a fuller flavor.
Buckwheat Soba Noodle Broth
- December 2, 2016
- 10 min Prep
- 10 min Cook
- Moderate Difficulty
- 150g buckwheat soba noodles
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 nori sheet, sliced into thin strips
- 1 thumb of ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 red chili, sliced thinly
- 1 spring onion, sliced thinly
- Step 1
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the soba noodles. Once the water comes back to the boil add 1 cup of cold water. Repeat this process twice more. When the water comes back to the boil one last time lower the heat and cook gently until the noodles are cooked. Drain and rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Step 2
- Add the vegetable stock to the large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. If possible use a home made vegetable stock or a good quality store bought stock. Add the nori sheets, ginger, garlic, chili and spring onions and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Step 3
- Add the noodles to the broth and serve straight away.
- Step 4
- This is a wonderful dish to enjoy if you’ve been sick or are recovering from illness.