You can have a lot of fun with these crackers and add any flavor you like. I’ve kept it simple with cumin and garlic, but you could add some parmesan cheese, sesame seeds or different spices.
This recipe uses buckwheat as the key flour ingredient, despite it’s name suggests it is actually wheat and gluten free. It’s a very nourishing and grounding grain to use and adds a lovely nutty flavour to your dishes.
Once you’ve baked them, you can keep them stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, if they last that long!
Garlic and Cumin Crackers
- 1 cup raw buckwheat
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease and line a baking tray.
- Step 2 Add the buckwheat, chia seeds, sea salt and cumin powder to a high-powered blender. Blend this into a fine powder, remove from the blender and add to a bowl.
- Step 3 Add the crushed garlic, olive oil and water, and mix together until combined. It will form into a firm dough, tip this out onto your baking tray and cover with another sheet of baking paper.
- Step 4 Roll this out using a rolling pin until it’s approx. 5mm thick. You will need to cut the shape of your crackers into the dough now before baking, I cut mine into rectangles.
- Step 5 Bake in the oven for 2 hours until the cracker is completely dry and crunchy.